Miscellaneous ⇒ Chit-Chat ⇒ bazaar cvs and dragonfly ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexChit-Chat

bazaar cvs and dragonfly Reply to topic

Hi everybody,

is someone of you using bazaar to version his work with dragonfly ?

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux/Apache/MySQL 5.1.49/PHP 5.3.6/ DF 9.3.2.0

Not here, sorry.

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.6 / PHP 5.6 / DCVS

nope, just cvs and mercurial here

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

Hi again,

after serveral week of using bazaar i'm not happy about what i have here.

What i'm looking for is a repository that allows me to update Dragonfly released files into my current working structures.

As i work on serveral modules i'd like to have these modules managed in a way i can develop them within the working copy of the DF repository and later release the files concerned by the respective module.

As some modules need changes in the DF core files the way the CVS should work is to allow merging changes from the official released DF files and my custom changes.

Finaly i'd like to be able to update my online site easily without having manually to selected files to copy nor having to copy the whole site.

I expect bazaar can handle this but i'm too stupid to find the way to do it. The only solution i found consists in having the DF released files on top and branch them for each module or theme. I need to install a web server an database for each of these branches so that i can quickly make changes and test them.

All this versionning stuff turn into a hudge amount of time, even more than tracking the changes manually as i did before.

How do you manage all of this CVS stuff ? how have you structured your files for developpement ?

Note that i'm working on Windows, i have a synology nas as a central storage and web server.

It may seems to be off topic but I always look a-head.

Why do you need to edit core files, eg events based actions (hooks).

one example is that i found no other possibility to have another wysiwyg editor for the news.

One other is that to have globaly and theme independend header inclusions the only way i found is to modify header.php. $modheader is not allways the way, specialy for module blocks shown outside of the block context.

I agree this is not really a big deal to modify manually for each site, but as you say this is of topic and not the question.
Independent of these core modifications i'd like to have one developpement site with serveral module that should be isolated independently for release.

To answer your question about CVS, you should probably have a file or a set of, where you include all your requirements, then include() the file in header or theme.php.
This way you probably wont need to merge any diffs.

We normally "merge diffs", into our projects.

As for the wysiwyg, did you knew about dragonflycms.org/cvs/wysiwyg/ ?

Yes be sure i have read serveral times the wiki over the years.

But as these part of DF seems not evolving, if i remember it has been modified in 2005 the last time, i did not got deeper into since i thought it was experimental.
If you expect such custom editors to be included that way i'll do it this way.

concerning VCS i will stay reading and testing to find the right way that fit my needs.

Thx anyway for your answers

GIT and Mercurial allow linking of repo's
Never tested it myself.

Another way might be to use Eclipse with several SCM plugins.

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

I'm experimenting with git in place of CVS for reDesign. Early days but already I feel that I'm in control of git instead of the other way around with CVS Laughing

But the only easy way I've found is to use a good diff program that interfaces directly with your version control system. Meld for me, but that's Linux. (Meld can be complied for Windows apparently, but the version control interface is buggy afterwards from what I've read.)

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4