General ⇒ Announcements ⇒ Module instances poll ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexAnnouncements

Module instances poll Reply to topic

Poll: Should multi-installed modules share data?
Yes, config tables and others should be shared as it is now. 4
No, each instance should be totally independent. 4
Either. 2
Total Votes 10

Thank you for your answer.

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.6 / PHP 5.6 / DCVS

I'll abstain as I feel that modules should be written so that multiple instances of them are not even required. Like Pro_News, where each Section is equivalent to a single instance of News, with each Section having its own independent set of Categories.

If you hunt back you'll find arguments in favour written by Kuragari (original author of Pro_News v1BETA).

This approach allows some configuration parameters to be shared and some separate, with the end user/admin involved in making that choice.

It also allows you to display articles frpm > 1 Section on a single page, which is hard to do from the multiple instances approach.

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

The multiple instances "feature" is there in case a webmaster wants new instances of the same module with different group and admin permissions, different URLs names, different theme style etc etc.

Unless I'm missing some critical details from your explanation, all the above will be lost.

Any change at core level wont break any of your features. It's up to you, as developer, to use or not this tool ... it's all a matter of preferences.

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.6 / PHP 5.6 / DCVS