Miscellaneous ⇒ Search Engines ⇒ rel="nofollow" and Forum permissions ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexSearch Engines

rel="nofollow" and Forum permissions Reply to topic

I have a membership site with almost all forums set to View=ALL so that their existence is visible, but some 50% of forums set to Read=REG to restrict access to registered members only.

I'm getting Google complaints about excessive follow errors.

Is this a viable way to address this for Forums?

In /modules/Forums/index.php replace: 'U_VIEWFORUM' => $forumlink, with: 'U_VIEWFORUM' => $forumlink, 'U_NOFOLLOW' => !is_user() && $forum_data[$j]['auth_read'] != '0' ? ' rel="nofollow"' : '',

Then in /themes/{your_theme}/template/Forums/index_body.html replace links to the forum of the form:<a href="{forumrow.U_VIEWFORUM}">{forumrow.FORUM_NAME}</a>with:<a {forumrow.U_NOFOLLOW} href="{forumrow.U_VIEWFORUM}">{forumrow.FORUM_NAME}</a>

If there's concurrence, I could submit a feature request for the change to index.php.

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

Google !is_user(), so it will still get the nofollow.
Never noticed nofollow complains, and moreover a link to a forum shouldn't have the no follow tag!

Original forums index page's html source at df.org is
<a href="Forums/viewforum/f=68/" class="forumlink">Search Engines</a>

Not sure what I'm missing here but couldn't it be a theme issue?

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.6 / PHP 5.6 / DCVS

I'm trying to put in a nofollow for SEs in case where the View setting for the forum is open to all (so does appear as an entry on the /Forums/ page), but actual read access to that same forum is blocked for guests and SEs due to the Read setting being at Reg or greater (so the /Forums/viewforum/f=xx/ page gets redirected to the login screen).

But don't know if that will benefit Google SEO or not.

Got it, you could use the already defined constant SEARCHBOT into a php file, instead of is_user(), then into tpls you can either add the nofollow or remove the anchor and display links as text.

As a not-seo-expert i believe that any of the above will help by removing all logins and permissions denied pages, duplicates and not-200s.

Thanks, Nano.

Another I've found. Lots of 500s for Forums Printer Friendly Page due to a reDesign3 error (now fixed). But it occurs to me that there is really no reason for Google to be crawling the Printer Friendly version of Forums. Besides the risk of Google seeing it as duplication, we don't really want the results of a Google search to offer up the Printer Friendly version. So better to add rel=nofollow to the Printer Friendly Page link(s). This should be a simple update to the /themes/{your_theme}/template/forums/index_body.html HTML, as there are no conditions to worry about - the rel=nofollow can remain present for all users.

I've just been asked to add a nofollow to a banner - how would I do that?

Dunno, don't have ad banners enabled. Post a link to the page, and tell me which banner, and I'll look it up. reDesign3 or redesign3+?

Guys we can try using code.google.com/p/drag...sourcelist so we all get notified on code changes proposal.

We will also try to add all current cvs themes into code.google.

reDesign3+ is already on github

Oh yeah, but i was talking about integrating those changes into ragonfly themes ... never mind I went off topic.

No worries. Would love to integrate reDesign3+ back into dragonfly, but I've got to remove all that extra PHP first! Only part way Sad Keep adding new features! Laughing

BTW, the reason for the heavy PHP related to avatars, eg memberslist.html, in original reDesign3 was to replace the default avatar with one of a different size. So perhaps defining the default avatar could be added to dragonfly themeing?

layingback wrote
Dunno, don't have ad banners enabled. Post a link to the page, and tell me which banner, and I'll look it up. reDesign3 or redesign3+?

It's on every page - the banner is in the head. It's referred to in header.html in my theme templates as

<!-- IF BANNER_HEADER --><div class="header_banner">{S_BANNER}</div><!-- ENDIF -->

But I can't tell which fell writes it so that I can add the nofollow bit...

Best I can tell the link is set up in modules/Our_Sponsors/index.php, line 42 or 44.

Way the code is written I can no alternative to editing the code.