Support ⇒ Themes ⇒ Hunter Theme Critique ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexThemes

Hunter Theme Critique Reply to topic

Go to page 1, 2, 3 Next

What do you all thing about this theme in general. Its not finished but the general fell and look are there. I want some opinions before I spend the time of hunting down ever css class to get all the details worked out.
Also keep in mind the TV sitting in the middle of the mantle will either have block content or a script rotating image from a specified directory not sure which yet.

Theme Preview

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Multiple Setups

Dizfunkshunal wrote

Also keep in mind the TV sitting in the middle of the mantle will either have block content or a script rotating image from a specified directory not sure which yet.

The block content I hope, I'd really like to see this as a standard DF function (blocks which could optionally be relocated to other locations on the page). It's not a complex implementation.

There are scrolling blocks about, eg CPGNuCalendar has several such as Coming Events.

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

thats why i am thinking of making it just scroll pics or something from a directory. I can set the tv to display bock content but there no way for reg DF users the change it unlesss they edit the template, no admin options. Something will get figured out Wink

Multiple Setups

layingback wrote

The block content I hope, I'd really like to see this as a standard DF function (blocks which could optionally be relocated to other locations on the page). It's not a complex implementation.

A function won't do it. I ran across this a year or so back. A cust wanted to have different "Block positions" similar to Jomala.
I had to re-write a new blocks.php class. Modify the modules table and add a theme installer to dragonfly admin section .. 3 times the work.

The admin for the blocks ended up as a drag and drop thing that allowed him to place blocks all over the place depending on the theme.

The Theme designer has to add a file to the theme that tells the installer what locations are available (up to 30) in his template to put blocks into..

the blocks can be placed on a per page basis Not just a Module level as is the dragon default. you just add a line of code to a page in a Module and the blocks admin will find it and then you can put different blocks on that "PAGE".

The Theme designer is not "Limited to the 3 column idea.
They can do most all of what can be done with the jomala locations thing

PHP Version 7.0.6 + MariaDB + Dragonfly 9.4 Modified

Here's a few more snaps

No, Diz already has a copy of my code which allows the block content to be positioned over his TV. Simple CSS.

The user can still change, replace, or add new blocks through block admin. NOTHING is changed in block admin, so any user on any system can use this.

Currently you have to add a new wrapper div when you first create the block to give the block a custom class name. IF the option of specifying a CSS class name for a block was added to Blocks Admin, even this small difference wouldn't be needed. And existing standard blocks could also be used.

A more flexible system like pictured above would be a further useful addition, but it still wouldn't allow pixel perfect position as is possible with the CSS trick. And needed for Diz to pull off his TV simulation well.

And as I pointed out to Diz, the class name of a block adds other options too, like colouring the background red for all blocks with a class name of "red_one", regardless of position.

I've attached a image showing a very simple sample block positioned (inaccurately) in the header, plus a shot of the very standard Block Admin custom code.

Below is the CSS to make this all happen.

.tv600 { position: absolute; width: 180px; top: 50px; left: 350px; z-index: 500; background-color: green; padding: 3px; }

Note without the mod to put the class name on the block div, the block title needs to be left blank. (But with the Blocks mod the entire block and title would be moveable.)
Attachment: screenshot.png
Description Lower right column block displayed in the header
Filesize 23.38 KiB
Viewed 1 Time(s)
You are not allowed to view/download this attachment
Attachment: screenshot-1.png
Description The block's custom code in Admin > Blocks
Filesize 16.82 KiB
Viewed 7 Time(s)
You are not allowed to view/download this attachment

If you ever get them to add the css option to the core.
Have them add a few more at the same time like these......

Woops I posted the modules snaps Not the Blocks Edit

This allows you to load js, css file or custom text to the document head
for each block No matter where it's location. Including the footer......

Now he can pixel place any into screen and also rotate images or video etc.

Wow both are excellent, would open abilities in themes up a lot. I haven't looked at Joomla but i have looked at drupal, their themes are built on layers which is great since you can literally do anything you want since since everything is in its on container type structure. Here is something to I thought about last night which i'm, were talking about this but at least i haven't been able to look to see what in CVS, we might be barking up a tree that already been cut down. I do know there was template change and i can find the thread to link to it, I just found it yesterday. I have to find it and do some more research on it. Either way any way we got to figure something, get some bells and whistles to attract new users maybe even bring some of the old ones back. Be nice if w had a counter that could tell how many websites are actually up and running DF lol.

Multiple Setups

A more flexible system like pictured above would be a further useful addition, but it still wouldn't allow pixel perfect position as is possible with the CSS trick. And needed for Diz to pull off his TV simulation well.

Doesnt need to be absolute perfect The center of the tv image is transparent I can load the content behind it and it show very nicely. Already tested rotating images. If loading a block into will be a little tricker I would have to actually code the tv screen as a block border.

The CSS trick is great but limited, Combination of both would be great ! but completely useless since modding the block admin requires modding it every time there is an update. Any way to accomplish this using hooks? If i remember right the hooks would allow to add custom that would be over ridden ever time thee is an update.

I looked at DF 10 but it doesn't seem much different then DF9 where blocks are concerned but im no expert if it is not obvious i probably missed it.

Multiple Setups

Dizfunkshunal wrote
The CSS trick is great but limited, Combination of both would be great ! but completely useless since modding the block admin requires modding it every time there is an update.

I really don't understand why you say this. The only difference between this and any other block is the <div ... > </div> statement. And once that's in there any further edits just need to avoid removing it.

There is no change/mod to Blocks Admin required.

[ But I will take a look to see what the code change would be in Admin Blocks (even though it's not necessary). Seems to me that the old in_module field is unused in the db, so maybe the CCS name can be stored there ... ]

Maybe i miss understand how the CSS trick works. All i know is figuring out a way to be able to add blocks any where in a theme and for site owners to be able to change those blocks with out editing templates is my goal, weather it be an additional module or actually get added to core. In a sense either way would work only thing is if its a module, shouldn't have to edit core files to make it work (always against editing core files or changing core data base tables, it just causes to many problems in the future). Of course this feature sort a speak would help us but would also like it to be usable by anyone regardless if they have coding knowledge. I dont know maybe im going at this the wrong way. I learn slow and it takes me awhile to full understand stuff. I will go over the information provided again tomorrow. Im probably missing some details I didn't pick up first couples times I read everything.

Multiple Setups

I suggest you try it yourself. On your existing system (remember I said: No change to Blocks Admin code required).

Create a simple block like I did (for now). Assign to bottom of right column (eg). Add that CSS to any one of your existing CSS files. Adjust left and top to suit (and background-color).

Then you might believe that no mods to Blocks Admin are required Smile

ok i tried the css trick, all it did was display the simple test just like in your example. which is nice but it doesn't display block data from a block in admin, at least i was unable to get it to do so. I used a script i got from espsjurs to display the block from block admin using the block id.

the block is in block admin and is left de-activated for this purpose.

Multiple Setups

I'm confused now. Where did it get the text from if not from the block?

But it has to be enabled - and displayed by Blocks - for it to appear on the page anywhere (relocated or not).

Recap:

Create a block in blocks admin without using any of my code and see it it displays correctly.

Then edit that same block and add the extra div with the tv600 name and see if it them moves under CSS control. (Even if it doesn't move it should still display where it was before.)