Support ⇒ Themes ⇒ Hunter Theme Critique ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexThemes

Hunter Theme Critique Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 Next

got from teh first block on php

layingback wrote
My Block contents:
<div class="tv600">A basic block with a little NBBCode to spice things up.</div>

I suggest that you use a Title until you have it set the way you want, then remove the title to hide the title in the (originally positioned) block.

CSS:
.tv600 { position: absolute; width: 180px; top: 50px; left: 350px; z-index: 500; background-color: green; padding: 3px; }

This will place the block div from the Custom > Contents field 50 down and 350 in, on top of anything else in the header. (No div in the header.html needed per se, but you may want one to prepare the area, eg. display your TV border image.) Adjust position, width, etc to suit. Should support images, etc.

Depending on your theme, you may find that a roll-up icon still exists for the moved block. If that bothers you (they are hidden until mouseover in reDesign3) then perhaps modify the blocks.html template to test for a title before displaying the toggle, with: <!-- IF S_TITLE -->toggle-html<!-- ENDIF -->

Hope that helps!

Note if you have 2 blocks with no title, and only 1 shows in Admin, then you need the patch that Nano finally made for me to allow > 1 block to have no title - took me 3 goes and 3 years to get that bug fixed in DF! Laughing Don't know which release it came in, but it was after 9.2.1. Workaround is you add Title back so you can separate them and edit them (9.2.1 code assumed they were duplicates.)

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Multiple Setups

layingback wrote
I'm confused now. Where did it get the text from if not from the block?

But it has to be enabled - and displayed by Blocks - for it to appear on the page anywhere (relocated or not).

Recap:

Create a block in blocks admin without using any of my code and see it it displays correctly.

Then edit that same block and add the extra div with the tv600 name and see if it them moves under CSS control. (Even if it doesn't move it should still display where it was before.)

ok give me a few and ill post results

Multiple Setups

Still couldn't get it to work, I left it up on my site using Hunter theme as Preview. After reviewing all the posts in this thread. I think Bulldogs Solution is better for what im wanting to do. Of course that is if he doesn't mind releasing his work. Smile Will you bulldog?

Hope no hard feelings layingback, Thanks for your help.

Multiple Setups

I don't see how bulldog500's model is going to work for you, nice as it is, because you customers won't all be using it.

The reason it is not working, is because you have only:
Testing one two three
in your test block.

It should contain:<div class="tv600">Testing one two three</div>

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

As an aside, I have the version which modifies Blocks Admin, in lieu of adding an extra div in each block's contents, working! And it does move the entire block, including title, thus leaving nothing in the old block position.

I'll document on my own site, so as not to confuse this thread further.

The instructions for modifying Blocks Admin (a number of very small edits) is here: layingback.net/Forums/....html#2678

layingback wrote
I don't see how bulldog500's model is going to work for you, nice as it is, because you customers won't all be using it.

The reason it is not working, is because you have only:
Testing one two three
in your test block.

It should contain:<div class="tv600">Testing one two three</div>

I feel stupid now. it works nicely but teh head for the block still on the bottom right?

Multiple Setups

layingback wrote

I don't have but a few customers and their not interested in this, I am for future theme development. Free theme development, Your way work and is good, but with it being assigned left or right, etc. users could forget about which one is which, get it mixed up with something else, forget what it was completely them come back at a later time and delete it, then have to debug to figure out why its not working anymore, I have done on this i have listed, not using things the way they were intended is a good way to get things messed up. Bulldogs block mod helps keep things simple and organized plus, it is further along and (with his permission) can be developed into a full Theme Admin. Dragonfly Desperately needs better visual effects, theme Engine, what ever it is you want to call it. This basic 3 column with head and footer is old, outdated, has out lived its use fullness and its time to make it an option not the standard.

Multiple Setups

The CSS style is way more flexible.

And you don't have to use "left or right". You could set it to just one (or center up or down for that matter). I would envisage people who use say the right block, would then store all their relocated blocks on the other side.

Yes, without editing Blocks Admin, you will get the block heading left, hence my caution to set it to empty! (But that was the original brief.)

I still not sure how you will get a predefined area solution to place the tv image exactly in the tv picture you have there ... But after using reDesign for so long, perhaps my expectations of item placement are higher than most people's Laughing But this site is pixel perfect to an independent design done by a professional design house, and uses reDesign3. Everything is standard DF 9.2.1 and standard reDesign3 theme!

But check out today's solution at my site (link above). Gets around the left-behind block title, so nothing to confuse/forget/lose. But as well as relocating a block absolutely anywhere it will also allow me to use different colours for certain blocks. And perhaps most importantly, allow my multi-block Center blocks (see here) to have different widths depending on the block! That's way beyond pre-defined locations because it lets the data define the block attributes (meaning you set the size to suit the content), rather than predefining and hoping you can make the data fit the plan.

But horses for courses. I'm extremely happy with the final solution. Solves a problem I was just encountering, and is a very, very light mod to DF which will be easy to maintain. So thanks for prodding me in this direction. (I've already put in an Enhancement request, because it would be easy for it to be added to core.)

It is easy to get content to fit into a fixed area. Thanks for your help.

Multiple Setups

Whoa, it works!

Different width blocks mixed-and-matched in Center Block up with no extra module or block code involved - just the CSS name applied as described above so that differing widths can be assigned in CSS!
Attachment: screenshot.png
Description Wide and narrow blocks mixed!
Filesize 51.25 KiB
Viewed 14 Time(s)
You are not allowed to view/download this attachment

sweet congrats !!

Multiple Setups

Now if this small mod could make its way into DF9 ... Laughing

A lot of features/tricks for such a simple tweak ...

layingback wrote
if this small mod
Which in short is?

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.6 / PHP 5.6 / DCVS

It is logged here as #137. But the direct link to the change is here: http://layingback.net/Forums/viewtopic/p=2678.html

Note I said that the mod is simple, but it is not short just due to the number of files to be tweaked. However each change is logically simple.

Please also note that it is fully backward compatible, so if it is added to a system which does not have an updated theme, then no harm is done. Similarly if using a theme without an updated admin template, Admin -> Blocks still operates without error, the new input field is simply not displayed.

I'm utilising the now unused since 9.1.1 in_module field in cms_blocks. If in a release you might want to do a rename of that in the installer to cssname, perhaps.

Thanks for the follow-up!