Support ⇒ Themes ⇒ reDesigned issues and changes?? ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexThemes

reDesigned issues and changes?? Reply to topic

I love this theme but apparently quite a few of our membership don't Rolling Eyes

We really want to stick with it as all the admin bar one love it's design, and functionally. However is there any way these issues could be addressed??

1. Can the user information in a thread be shifted back to the left hand side of the page like in the Sovereign Blue theme we previously used??

2. Can the colours of each post be changed to give a better definition between responses as at the minute its quite hard to make out who's saying what.

3. This doesn't bother me but some people are reporting very difficult viewing on their iPhones. A thread with pics will be shifted some way down the page before its viewable whereas with Sovereign Blue this never happened.

4. A lot of people complaining about automatic pic resizing and gibberish when linking photos form photobucket. An example below.

also%20put%20some%20Lamin-x%20on%20them%20to%20protect%20them

Many thanks for looking.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Dragonfly 9.3.4.0 CVS

Have a look at pentaxdslr.eu and or layingback.net (slightly different versions) and see if the issues you describe are solved to your satisfaction there. Because I will be re-releasing reDesign in that form "soon".

BTW, your item 4 is unrelated to the theme, it's a BBCode issue, you'll find a thread here about the fix, basically the latest nbbcode.php module fixes it.

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

Yes that's a much better colour scheme and seems to work perfectly on my iPhone but the user info is still on the right hand side of every post. Can this be aligned to the left hand side to save the grumpy ones I have to listen too??

Issue 4 I mentioned above was not an issue until I installed reDesigned and 9.3.4.0 CVS??

Dragonfly 9.3.4.0 CVS

gavingtini wrote
Issue 4 I mentioned above was not an issue until I installed reDesigned and 9.3.4.0 CVS??

Correct. It was a bug fix that needed relaxing some for photobucket et al. Here's the thread if you are interested. But basically you need the latest version of nbbcode.php from CVS. Or you can use my enhanced version on layingback.net. (You'll need my version anyway if you want the new feature I've added to reDesign which limits the text width in forum posts to max 800px even if an image is > than 800px. Helps greatly with reading the text.)

Yes I realise that you saw profiles on the right. I happen to believe that this is the best place for narrow screens. So have you tried viewing on a wide browser window? You'll see that the img's from photobucket et al adjust to suit, and at the widest setting I'm placing the profile info on left! The different settings are done with individual small CSS files - needed by IE7 & 8 but used by all browsers so that it is trivial to copy the left setting CSS to the right setting CSS.

Note that most browsers will size the img to exactly match your current browser window size to the pixel, but IE8 can't handle this, so separate CSS files are used for all common screen widths, to get an approximately correct (not too big) img size. I've also developed the fledgling mobile CSS settings in reDesign to deliberately overflow the forum display on phones, so you do want to keep profile on right IMHO in that case, as it allows the img to take up the entire window width, and hangs the profile out over the side. But I have added 'posted by' to the sub-title for the post so that you can see who has posted without right scrolling. (This has all gone down really well on my photo site pentaxdslr.eu, which makes heavy use of img BBCode.)

Back to the picture sliding down if the img is too big or the window too narrow. This is the one Achilles heel of reDesign. I have a working solution (on my dev system only) which mostly works. It hides the block columns after loading if center section is otherwise too wide. Discovered 1 bug just last night (thought I had finished!) that impacts this very area, so need to fix before showing it.

There are hundreds of other improvements too, including removing all of the big PHP calls in the templates. So I will be looking for beta test sites soon.

Can I suggest that you sign up for layingback.net if not already, and request access to the reDesign group?

The first link you posted does not work for me and the second one when I click on anything says in large blue writing

"Spam url in referer header
You are banned from this site due to a spam url in the referer header"

When we had Sovereign Blue as our default theme it was totally viewable on the vertical orientation of say an iPhone or the like without the need to rotate it to the horizontal plain to achieve a better viewing outcome. This was also the case for the Azul-Carbon previous to that. The members we have much prefer the user info oriented to the left as the vast majority of the forums they use are all this way round and it makes us different and in such a nuisance for those not open to change and us as a group vulnerable to loosing regular users over such a trivial thing.

I will gladly sign up to your site but as i'm lost past any basic html code I doubt ill have much to offer if anything at all.

Dragonfly 9.3.4.0 CVS

You *could* just switch out the forum coding from one theme to another - it can be a real hassle though.

Hm. I was thinking of using reDesign as the base theme for a site that will need forums - but I think having the forums set up that way might wind up being a deal breaker as I don't have the time to plug in a different forum from a different theme right now what with the spring semester and all - be easier to just change another theme to look like redesigned instead, so maybe that's what I'll do instead.

[ Linux / Apache 2.2.8 / MySQL 5.0.45 / PHP 5.2.6 / CPG 8.2b - 9.3.4.1]

Can't figure out which problem you are referring to as the deal breaker in Forums. If you mean block on the right, layingback.net/Forums/...=460.html. Click the blue bar on left if the left block is hidden.

If you mean the page is too wide, try it with the page a little wider, or set the max image width smaller. I have it at 800px, but at 640px it would fit in 1024px wide window easily.

I mean having the user info displayed in the right hand side of the forums, exactly as gavingtini described.

I'll just mimic it instead and use a different theme as the base ... easier that way than plugging in another theme's forum structure into that theme, lol.

??? Why wouldn't you set the blocks to show on the left if you want them on the left?

But hey, if you can mimic it that quickly, go for it! Eestlane and I each know how much effort it has taken to get this far. Templating coppermine is trivial after all. Laughing Rolling Eyes

Yanno ... it really wasn't meant to be a criticism ... just the forums displaying the user info on the right side was a deal breaker for what I needed to to do.

It can be the nicest theme in the world, but if it has something that is not able to be readily adapted for something that someone is looking for specifically, it's just the way it is. No harm, no foul.

It's not personal, nor is it a slight on anyone's hard work ... it's just the way it goes sometimes. Some people can't stand a DF site - doesn't matter what a killer platform it is or how stable it is or how easy it is to use or everything it can do ... if the folks that one is doing a site for simply will not accept DF, then it's just their choice.

*shrug* You just can't make everyone like every single aspect of everything even if it makes absolute sense to you. Just kind of the way that cookie crumbles.

Put another way, you might think it makes all the sense in the world - but you can't make folks agree with that if it doesn't serve them in the way that they've decided will work for them or their needs.

And no, mimicing a theme is really not difficult, it's not like real coding after all. It wasn't meant to be a snarky comment, it just is what it is - I simply needed to save as much time as possible, and it would have taken me wayyy so much more time to actually change coding and have it work than it was to throw a similar look onto a regular theme, which was all I was saying.

As I tried to show, userinfo is available either side. It's as difficult as commenting out 1 bit of CSS and commenting back in the other ...

As I tried to explain and show, 1 of my sites has both options on the same page, on a narrow browser window it is on the right (so that it can be off-screen) and on a wider window it's on the left.

I guess they meant the user profile info part in forums post.

But that is also easily changed in css - I used to have some article about it in a FAQ, but google cache doesnt have it

EDIT: oh, that's what you thought too.

-

Yes, I hadn't realised that earlier, mostly I think because I knew it was so easy to change.

Here's a sample. Open this link in your browser: pentaxslr.eu/Forums/vi...ic/t=1709/

If your browser window is > 1600 pixels wide the userinfo will be on the left. Otherwise it will be on the right. (If you can change you browser window above/below 1600 you'll need to reload to effect the change - it is not intended to be dynamic.)

1600 as the crossover point was an arbitrary choice. Easy to change. Chosen here because this is a photography site thus the image rules supreme, and most members are either accessing from a laptop/notepad/phone or a desktop. And when it's a desktop it usually has a 23/24" screen. The site supports full HD images, so the userinfo gets in the way on smaller screens.

The posted by username has been added to the post, so poster name is still clear when userinfo is hidden off screen. Note also that images are resized to suit browser window width ... even down to 480px for (old) phones.

Still working on improvements, mostly to coppermine currently. And a work-around to the too-wide main section, although it is too slow currently to be widely used. (Although mixed with prudent selections, eg. Forums set with blocks initially hidden, it has its place as a fallback solution.)

Ahh that is good to know ... it was not obvious to me that it was easy to change at all.

I was wanting to remain on the right at all times, no matte the screen size .... and you are saying that is easy to do and possible? Or will it always switch and the only way to "control" it is to designate at what size you want to the switch to happen?

Am I now understanding that correctly? Or am I still not getting it?

Here's the relevant piece of code from reDesign's style.css - I think it has always been this way ...

.wip_postbody { padding: 0; /*Top or bottom padding can't be added to wip_post itself*/ line-height: 1.48; color: #333333; width: 76%; float: left; /*Uncomment to have user details on left side:*/ /*float: right;*/ clear: both; }

Now with my reset image width to suit browser window width this has to be done in half-a-dozen places, because I have to use a css file per popular monitor size for IE7 (max-width doesn't work at all until IE8) - assuming you want to stay with same setting for all window widths.

It was more complex for my HD/1920px version until 2 days ago - but I've now simplified that back to Eestlane's original for support reasons.

I hope to get 1st shot at newest version released soon. (Code is tested, but extracting the relevant parts to release as a standalone theme is taking some time).

Also including lots of example CSS in specific.css.

FYI, I've opened up the reDesign Theme forum pages on my site to all registered members as of yesterday.