Support ⇒ Troubleshootings ⇒ Invalid "To:" header sent from topic notifications. ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexTroubleshootings

Invalid "To:" header sent from topic notifications. Reply to topic

I have started getting rejection messages from a certain ISP when my server tries to send topic reply notifications to a user. Private messages are fine, but the topic reply ones are not.

When I check the headers of an email that was sent to my own account, there is nothing in the To: header.
The error message I get from the ISP is this:

The mail system

<xxxxxxx@adam.com.au>: host smx.adam.com.au[202.136.110.241] said: 550 REJECT
The To: Header in this message did not contain a valid email address (in
reply to end of DATA command)

And here is an example of a header from another dragonfly site that was sent to me:

To:
Subject: Topic Reply Notification - hybrids YZR500 project
X-PHP-Originating-Script: 81:phpmailer.php
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 17:54:57 +1000
Message-ID: <fd9a0c78dfeaf67e4a8809a5cf2a67df@www.2strokesdownunder.com>
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: PHPMailer [version 1.73]
X-DF-MailerSRC: includes/phpBB/emailer.php for 211.28.128.117
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

So the ISP is right. The topic reply notifications are not sending a valid "To:" header.

I notice that the topic reply seems to use BCC - is that so the list of email addresses is not seen by anyone? Is there a way to put a dummy email address in the "To:" header so pedantic mail servers don't block these emails?

Test Signature

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):

It's failing to add "Undisclosed Recipients" as To, I did looked into and I was able to reprocude the same issue but then I end up upgrading PHPMailer to the latest version available into v10.

This issue could also be cause by the mail server it self, can you try to use SMTP and PHP backend? Tell us if the issue still persists.

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.6 / PHP 5.6 / DCVS

FYI, I have same on all my 9.2.1 sites. And below is what I just received from here. I've protected the From:, Return-path: and the Envelope-to:, but the To: was blank before editing. Subject: Topic Reply Notification - Update to my BBCode Hack (v6) From: CPG DragonflyTM CMS <xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx> Date: 15/05/13 03:11 To: X-Account-Key: account17 X-UIDL: UID11444-1199550459 X-Mozilla-Status: 0001 X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000 Return-path: <xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx> Envelope-to: xxxxxxx @ xxxxxxxx.xxx Delivery-date: Tue, 14 May 2013 19:11:09 -0700

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

Do you use PHP or SMTP on your sites layingback?

I only have an issue with one ISP so far... obviously they have very strict filtering, as most mail servers don't seem to care as long as it can find an email address somewhere.

I guess we would have to use a do_not_reply @ domain.com email address in the To: field so that someone was not getting an email every time a notification was sent.

It is smart using BCC as we might be sending the topic notification to lots of people. We don't want them in the To: field, or the email addresses would be seen by every recipient.

How does the v10 version operate? Does it send a separate email to each recipient, or does it have something in the To: header?

Test Signature

PHP

Don't know about DF.

A dummy To: seems better.

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4