Miscellaneous ⇒ Chit-Chat ⇒ Ubuntu Mate ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexChit-Chat

Ubuntu Mate Reply to topic

Pronounced Ma-té

Have used Linux/Ubuntu for years, but have been stuck on 10.10 for over half a decade becuase I couldn't handle the productivity loss with Unity - or Gnome3. xfce didn't really do it either.

Tried adding Mate from Mint into Ubuntu 14.04 LTS myself and although I have it running and use it on my desktop, it is anything but clean, and no way to edit menus sensibly.

But now there is Ubuntu Mate 14.10. It is all set to be an official flavour of Ubuntu (although not until 15.04 in 6 months time).

Have been using it as my only desktop environment since b1, and currently on RC with release set for end of this month.

A really slickly built distro, from an ArchUnix TU who is also part of the Mate team. So fixes are getting built in the way they should be, upstream. And quickly! Once 14.10 is released a 14.04 LTS version is promised. And there is also a looks-just-like-Windows-XP theme, which could be useful if you have friends/family who need to be eased off their beloved XP.

So anyone looking to get back to Ubuntu 2006 may want to take a look. If that makes no sense to you, fine, no problem. But for those who are using multiple desktop windows on pre-2006 hardware this is like striking gold. It's currently lighter than xfce! (Because all the unneeded parts of Gnome2 have been stripped out.)

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

Thanks for this info layingback. While I do not use ubuntu, at the moment I prefer debian. However, this may change with the systemd discussions going on, so I will keep my options open. I like hearing about the work on Mate more than anything. Mate and Xfce are my preferred desktops and if Mate gets Custom Actions in caja like Xfce has in Thunar then Mate will get my nod as the preferred desktop environment.

There is a project on github that tries to emulate this so if it ever gets to "stable" and added to the repositories, I will use it. "Custom Actions" in Thunar is a real time saver, for me, and for this reason alone, I use Xfce most of the time.

I will keep my eyes out for this release of ubuntu and will give it a spin when it is released.

Devuan jessie / Apache 2.4x / MariaDB 10.x / PHP 5.6x / DF 9.4

Mate looks nice, will keep that one in mind

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

Last edited by DJ Maze on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total

It's now released (in sync with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc 14.10).

Ubuntu Mate 14.04 LTS is targeted for Nov 8.

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4