General ⇒ DVCS Info (Mercurial/CVS) ⇒ Mobile browsing ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexDVCS Info (Mercurial/CVS)

Mobile browsing Reply to topic

What do you guys think about excluding left and right side blocks for mobile browsing? Not hiding, but totally excluded.

This change will be done at theme level so each theme is free to choose it's view style.

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.6 / PHP 5.6 / DCVS

I think CSS would be a better place then "isMobile()" detection.
As it is not really the device but the screensize that matters.
@media only screen and (max-width: 800px) { #RightSide { display:none; } }

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

Better, but still taking choice away from Admin. Really it is needed at module level, eg. no (left) block in Your_Account or coppermine (with default themes) makes them almost unusable for some features, BOTOH Forums is often much better with no side panels.

Alternative ideas:

See PENTAXslr.eu for red sliders to override the site default (but none on Forums because as it is photo-focussed I make images appear as large as possible). Users really like, and I use this technique Forums/viewtopic/t=25032/ plus a CSS similar to above to collapse those I want to start hidden rather than exposed.

See layingback.net where I have a js routine which attempts to hide right, and then if necessary left, side blocks in order to stop #main from sliding down the page (as it is wont to do with reDesign theme). I have not deployed this anywhere else as it seems to be too slow, esp. on Forums posting.php when it has preview to handle as well. But I'm crap at js, so sure it could be done way more efficiently by you guys.

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

That's right, if I follow the screen size we could have both views in a mobile phone when rotating the screen.

NanoCaiordo wrote
That's right, if I follow the screen size we could have both views in a mobile phone when rotating the screen.

That would be good.

Snag with this is that tablet manufacturers' Marketing Depts decide which way up the phone/tablet should be. Eg iPads in landscape physically report they are in Portrait, and vice versa. On Android it is worse still, most are correct, ie as you would expect,, but Samsung on the Tab reports like iPad!

So I gave up and just used the initial reported value, ignored rotation and let the phone/tablet browser handle the resizing on rotation! Smile

Tablets have enough display area to browse in "desktop" mode so I wouldn't really care what they report etc, it's the pixels I'm going to count. I actually made a site with this same characteristic and it works great, I just forgot about it eheh.

NanoCaiordo wrote
Tablets have enough display area to browse in "desktop" mode so I wouldn't really care what they report etc, it's the pixels I'm going to count. I actually made a site with this same characteristic and it works great, I just forgot about it eheh.

But how do you tell a (hi-res) phone from a (low-res) tablet from the server end? Lots of phones now have more pixels than tablets - probably because of 'subsidised' phone purchases versus hard-cash for tablets. User run-time option? (Equivalent to Display Desktop version button, but both ways?)

Exactly as DJ posted.

The device pixel ratio is the ratio between physical pixels and logical pixels. For instance, the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S reports a device pixel ratio of 2, because the physical linear resolution is double the logical resolution.

- Physical resolution: 960 x 640
- Logical resolution: 480 x 320

So you must keep <meta name="viewport" /> and CSS correct for your designs, like:
@media only screen and (min-device-pixel-ratio: 1.5) { /* high resolution images go here */ }

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

Last edited by DJ Maze on Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:36 pm; edited 3 times in total