Miscellaneous ⇒ Server Chat ⇒ MySQL server has gone away.. ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexServer Chat

MySQL server has gone away.. Reply to topic

Search on this site shows this was a problem 4 or 5 years ago but doesn't appear to have been mentioned since. I am getting a dozen or so emails at a time at random intervals every day or two saying that the server has gone away. My host (a shared host) has moved me to a faster server but it hasn't made a lot of difference. I've just noticed all the errors I'm receiving have been generated by /Your_Account/register.html. Is there a known problem/solution with that page?

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):

Strange, it seems to work for me on chantillyexpat.com

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

DJ Maze wrote
Strange, it seems to work for me on chantillyexpat.com

Works 99% of the time but it seems to fall over four or five times a week. Is it just a question of server load? It's not that popular a site..

Last edited by rosbif on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total

The hosting provider can look in the error log of MySQL to find out why it crashes.
There's not much else you can do.

They just put it down to load. Odd that it's always the same page (and bots I presume)

Could be sendmail() in register.html, it may return slow. Increasing db timeout could be a workaround for you.

What you can also do is get the time when the error occur and search your apache logs for what the client did. Was it a GET or a POST etc..

Edit: Also check the timing on each request made by the client like pages, images, css etc. so to be able to understand if it was on a slow link or not.

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.7 / PHP 7.3 / head

Last edited by NanoCaiordo on Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Else you could switch to a VPS like on tilaa.com (starting € 5.55 ex. TAX).
But then you need to manage the DNS on a different server (which is good and bad in both ways).

We switched (i pay more for SSD and such) and godaddy manages the DNS, but still get a MySQL connection lost once per month or so.
It's inevitability www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIbEj1CIpuU

Last edited by DJ Maze on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

It would be ok if it wasn't happening a couple of times a day. I just don't understand why it's just that one page causing the problem; when I do a test on that page (via tools.pingdom.com) it is taking over 22 secs to load the page!! Just the html! There must be something going on there.

Apache logs show no SQL server downtime, but I can't get access to see what the actual requests where at the time.

If a page check does reach that timing it's a server issue, nothing you can do but disabling database errors email notifications.

v10 can handle two databases connections and that would be cool to extend with as a fail overs...

I've set up a filter to discard just this message rather than disable the emails completely. I woke up to over 50 emails this morning with the same error!

Hmm, well I added 2 more! Wink

FWIW it isn't anything to do with the js scripts, as it takes as long as with js enabled as disabled.

But why all those side blocks in YA? At least try with minimum side blocks - I have just user login, basically in case user clicked Register when they meant Login which is easy enough on a touch screen.

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

I have removed all but 3 blocks; no change to the load time - still 20+ seconds.. Really at a loss to explain this.

Is it the page generation or db queries time that is high?

Page generation I think.

This page generated in 19.4856 seconds with 60 DB Queries in 0.0203 seconds

If this is still related to MySQL issues, could the database connection takes too long?