General ⇒ DVCS Info (Mercurial/CVS) :: Archives ⇒ How to run a CVS automated website to keep updated :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexDVCS Info (Mercurial/CVS)

Archived ⇒ How to run a CVS automated website to keep updated

If you going to start a fresh website and want to be up to date with the latest CVS and doesn't matter if a bug occurs and you want to notify the developers instantly, then here's your opportunity !!!

We call it cvsweb for now and it's our first attempt to run a CVS controlled DragonflyCMS.
When the system works on different machines we like to make it a admin controlled thing so you can update one modules/add-on at a time, and get info if a file has been updated.

Here's how you run such a website
  1. Extract the attached cvsweb.zip to a local directory
  2. Create an empty directory or use your "root" (public_html)
  3. CHMOD that directory 777 (temporarly)
  4. Upload the extracted files and folder to your website
  5. CHMOD 777 the "CVS" directory and CVS/Entries file
  6. Create a file with the following code
<?php set_time_limit(1200); //exec('C:\Progra~1\tortoisecvs\cvs.exe -q -z6 update -Pd', $log); exec('cvs -q -z6 update -Pd', $log); echo implode("<br/>",$log); echo "\n\nWebsite updated to CVS"; ?>
If the PHP fails or it's taking to long you can "update" a directory seperate by using
cvs -q -z6 update -Pdl
This will ignore sub-folders and only updates the current folder.

Run the install.php script, then delete the install.php script afterwards note: the file is in the .cvsignore list so it won't be uploaded to your website after you've deleted it.

If you only want to be "up to date" with 1 folder then copy the CVS to that directory and edit the line in the "Repository" file to something likehtml/modules/Your_Account IF the "CVS" directory is uploaded to "modules/Your_Account".

Please post your bugs/fixes in Projects.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

How to use CVS ADD-ONS like a module using this ?

That's a bit tricky cos the "admin/modules/*.php" and such can't be updated thru CVS cos the "cvs files" are to restricted as of my knowledge.

But you can update the module itself.
For example Take the shoutblock.
  1. Use same attachment from above post but now only the contained "CVS" directory
  2. Thru FTP create the directory "modules/Shoutblock" and CHMOD 777 it
  3. Edit the "CVS/Repository" file and change the line intomodules/Shoutblock/modules/Shoutblock
  4. Upload the "CVS" directory to the "modules/Shoutblock" directory and run above mentioned script in that directory
  5. Upload the admin and blocks part from a local CVS and your up and running

That's it

I get a lot of conflicts and ignores - presumably I will have to empty out all the pre-existing CVS folders from my previous installation?

If you going to start a fresh website

So for a switch: Yes remove everything, and ofcourse don't forget to backup your files for reference.
Run the mysql queries from the cpg83.php file because because the installer doesn't work properly yet for upgrades.

nm - I knew it was for a fresh install and changed accordingly - was just looking for an easy way around doing another install. Not all of us are on cable.

nm - I knew it was for a fresh install and changed accordingly - was just looking for an easy way around doing another install. Not all of us are on cable.

Well you can copy and use it.
After the copy change the permissions on the files and directories thru shell on "how PHP runs" for examplechown -R nobody:nobody *

Your serer is the one that would download the files. Unless you want the backup.

What that no Cable Shocked Shocked

did you say 56k Shocked Shocked

What is The Viperal ?
Email: viperal1 @ gmail.com

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

It was a full production site, so lots of other files uploaded, as well as db changes - oh well, investment in the future. 56k Sad

I'm running out of space...how much will this take up (beyond the regular files, etc..)?

J.
j e r u v y a t y a h o o d o t c o m

Need help? Look here: www.dragonflycms.org/W...d=112.html
Need to chat? Look for me on irc.freenode.net

Ubuntu7.10/Debian3.1 - 2.2.3/1.3.37 - 5.0.38/4.0.27 - 5.2.1/4.4.7 - CVS/9.1.2}

it should just be the regular files and a few small file that say what file version the files are, should never be over a mb, a few 100kbs at the most.

What is The Viperal ?
Email: viperal1 @ gmail.com

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

I think I can handle that. Thanks!

J.

CVS update works fine, but cannot upload any other files to the site through ftp.

Is there something in CVS settings that causes this?

Hmm probably the PHP on your system runs a "nobody" but your account isn't allowed to delete/overwite files from ""nobody" and you're not allowed to upload files to directories which are owned by "nobody"

Ask host for a proper account setup.

Okay, will do,
User/Group nobody(99)/99

DonationsPro for DragonflyCMS & SMF

Here's how you run such a website
  1. Extract the attached cvsweb.zip to a local directory
  2. Modify config.php to reflect your database settings
  3. Create an empty directory or use your "root" (public_html)
  4. CHMOD that directory 777 (temporarly)
  5. Upload the extracted files and folder to your website
  6. CHMOD 777 the "CVS" directory and CVS/Entries file
  7. Create a file with the following code<?php set_time_limit(1200); //exec('C:\Progra~1\tortoisecvs\cvs.exe -q -z6 update -Pd', $log); exec('cvs -q -z6 update -Pd', $log); echo implode("<br/>",$log); echo "\n\nWebsite updated to CVS"; ?>IF the PHP fails or it's taking to long you can "update" a directory seperate by usingcvs -q -z6 update -PdlThis will ignore sub-folders and only updates the current folder.
  8. Run the install.php script
  9. Delete the install.php script afterwards note: the file is in the .cvsignore list so it won't be uploaded to your website after you've deleted it. You can always get a fresh copy here

Ok lets see if I got this right.

1. Done, I simply ftp'd the cvs dir and the .cvsignore file.
2. Not done as config.php already in place and working.
3. Create a blank dir or use root? I didn't get this, since the install is in a subdir I didn't know what to do.
4. Not done as I didn't create one.
5. Uploaded ok.
6. chmod 777 the cvs dir
7. Created a file, but didn't know what to call it. I called it cvs.php
8. I then loaded this file and it quickly responded with Website updated to CVS.
9. I then ran install.php but it breaks. "Good you've made the ..." and tells me my current version is 8.2 No links, no buttons just a dead end.

???

No editing posts...please review corrections in this post.

J.