Miscellaneous ⇒ User & Newbie Resources :: Archives ⇒ Use of Groups :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexUser & Newbie Resources

Archived ⇒ Use of Groups This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

I'm confused
I have tried to understand making a user and let him/she be groupmember and then giving the group some special tasks

I have made a forum privat and giving it to a group but...

I can't see that group easy or see how are membership in that group or see a user and if he/she is a member in any or one or more groups.

Where can I read about this?

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
XP/1.3/4x/4x

Let's see if I can walk you through this. I agree, I find this process a little frustrating, but it can be done.

Then click on Create New Group.

Then enter a name, I used "Testing Site"

A description is optional but helpful.

Now add a moderator. If you don't have any users for this purpose use yourself.

Now you have three choices, is this an OPEN group, a CLOSED group or a HIDDEN group. Open means you can add more to the group. CLOSED means you cannot add any more to the group. HIDDEN means the group is invisible to non-GROUP members.

So lets say you want to keep this OPEN. Click save and your done.

Now click again on GROUPS from the admin page, and go back to the first screen. Now you should see a drop down menu with your groups listed and a icon EDIT GROUPS.

Here's where it gets stupid.

Now you have to go to forums and ADD users to the groups. Why this isn't done in the groups admin I don't know, but I've alway disliked this version of groups.

Go to Forums | Group Permissions in admin section select the group you just created and click look up group.

Here you can toggle admin or moderator status for your forums FOR THE WHOLE GROUP as you wish. Play with this so you get the hang of it.

If you use advanced you get much more granular detail and in simple its just yes or no basically.

Now select the User Permissions in the Forums admin, and look up your users...one at a time...

Once you've found your user you can then perform similar steps for the user specifically.

Both are optional methods so you can pretty much pick and choose which ones you want and how you prefer to handle this.

I hope that's accurate and helpful..if not let me know and I'll edit appropriately.

J.
j e r u v y a t y a h o o d o t c o m

Need help? Look here: www.dragonflycms.org/W...d=112.html
Need to chat? Look for me on irc.freenode.net

Ubuntu7.10/Debian3.1 - 2.2.3/1.3.37 - 5.0.38/4.0.27 - 5.2.1/4.4.7 - CVS/9.1.2}

Let's see if I can walk you through this. I agree, I find this process a little frustrating, but it can be done.

Thanks
It worked but there is a wish for improvement.

Is there anyway where I can see all members in a group?

I can change a forum to private, then nobody, other than members can *view* the context. Is it better to use hidden on a forum and only the groups as before.[/quote]

XP/1.3/4x/4x

As I stated in user permissions:

Now select the User Permissions in the Forums admin, and look up your users...one at a time...

J.
j e r u v y a t y a h o o d o t c o m

Need help? Look here: www.dragonflycms.org/W...d=112.html
Need to chat? Look for me on irc.freenode.net

Ubuntu7.10/Debian3.1 - 2.2.3/1.3.37 - 5.0.38/4.0.27 - 5.2.1/4.4.7 - CVS/9.1.2}

How do I get it to show Administrator in the Left of a post, under the Username, just like it says Security Team, with the 6 Stars, and TEAM CPG on the above post?

I run an OFFROAD club website and I want all the Board Admins to show up as that, and possibly use the RANK system to show who are the Officers of the club, but can I select certain people for a rank?

Thanks

Linux/Apache 1.3.31/MySQL 4.0.20/PHP 4.3.8/CPG-nuke 8.2b

Last edited by okinawascubadiver on Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

1. create the rank 2. assign it to a person in forum > ranks

NEMINI.org, NEMINI.us, NEMINI.info, NYMINI.org

1.3.34 (Unix)/4.1.18-standard/4.4.2 /9.1.0.8 CVS

I cant seem to find where to assign it to members

admin > forums > user management > select a user > assign the rank > save

Thank You!

Jeruvy wrote

Then click on Create New Group.

Then enter a name, I used "Testing Site"

A description is optional but helpful.

Now add a moderator. If you don't have any users for this purpose use yourself.

Now you have three choices, is this an OPEN group, a CLOSED group or a HIDDEN group. Open means you can add more to the group. CLOSED means you cannot add any more to the group. HIDDEN means the group is invisible to non-GROUP members.

So lets say you want to keep this OPEN. Click save and your done.

Now click again on GROUPS from the admin page, and go back to the first screen. Now you should see a drop down menu with your groups listed and a icon EDIT GROUPS.

Here's where it gets stupid.

Now you have to go to forums and ADD users to the groups. Why this isn't done in the groups admin I don't know, but I've alway disliked this version of groups.

Go to Forums | Group Permissions in admin section select the group you just created and click look up group.

Here you can toggle admin or moderator status for your forums FOR THE WHOLE GROUP as you wish. Play with this so you get the hang of it.

If you use advanced you get much more granular detail and in simple its just yes or no basically.

Once you've found your user you can then perform similar steps for the user specifically.

Both are optional methods so you can pretty much pick and choose which ones you want and how you prefer to handle this.

I hope that's accurate and helpful..if not let me know and I'll edit appropriately.

i tried all of this but my name as admin shows up as newbie and i only have 1 star beside my name..weird!

WindowsXP/Unix server/MySQL 3.23.54/phpMyAdmin 2.5.1/CPGNuke 8.2b

ballerz I told you in the other thread ... if you want to appear as admin you have to create the admin rank and then assign that rank to your username.

ranks and groups have nothing to do with one another.

GMINI03 wrote
ballerz I told you in the other thread ... if you want to appear as admin you have to create the admin rank and then assign that rank to your username.

ranks and groups have nothing to do with one another.

ive already done all what you said, im trying to search for another solution to the problem im having....i cant seem to get this right...ive already made the ranks and ive already assigned mod for mod, admin for admin, but im still showing up as NEWBIES!!!....am i suposed to assign members one by one to the proper section as they register? why doesnt it automatcally put registered user under registered section?

special ranks have to be assigned on a case by case basis yes, they are special after all .... ranks based on post count will go automatically when each subsequent post level is reached.

i dont want special ranking, all i want to do is make admin for admin, members for members, and mods for mods....once i get that right ill looking into the ranking, at this point i dont care for the star ranking stuff if its not a must to use....too confusing at this point in time, i just want to get things sorted out so the proper mod, admin, and members dont show up as newbies..

sorry im completely lost on this...

mod and admins are special though, any rank that isn't open to everyone is special. If you don't want newbies change the rank for 0 posts to whatever you want it to read.