Dragonfly CMS v9 ⇒ CPG-BB (forum) :: Archives ⇒ password protect forums :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum Index Modules & Blocks CPG-BB (forum) ⇒ Archives

Archived ⇒ password protect forums

An option like in invisionboard to password protect forums.

www.phearme.com

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
BSD/1.3.33/4.0.18/4.3.9

Is that a statement or a question?

XP / 2.0 / 5.1 / 5.2 / none

why password protect when you can just assign groups. anyone you would give a password to could just as easily be added to a group that has permission to view a forum. passwords are easily given away by users etc... group permissions can not be circumvented.

Group permission are much more effective then passwords.

Linux/1.3.33/4.4/4.3.11

because if you assigned groups that would be a massive pain in the ass if you didnt want certain ppl to access the forum from that group. or if you wanted to allow public access to that forum if they knew the password it could make things a lot more simple for friends or what not.

www.phearme.com

BSD/1.3.33/4.0.18/4.3.9

then dont include them in the group. only include people in the group whom you want to give access too. it's comes down to a user by user basis when giving passwords or permissions. otherwise why do it at all. if something really needs to be passworded then use permissions. password protecting forums is now obsolete. if you want to password protect a directory that's different and can be done through your cpanel. passwording is yesterdays method of private forums. use group permissions. if you really want to use passwords though i'm not one to stop you in your goal. someone might be along shortly to aid you.

Linux/1.3.33/4.4/4.3.11

It'd be a great feature to password protect forums, if you prefer grouping, do that as well.

passwords can be easily passed around. Group Permissions can't.

Search is your friend

Fedora Core 1, Apache 1.3.33, Mysql 4.1.14, PHP 5.0.5 w/ APC cache, Dragonfly 9.0.6.1

Spot on tank - if restricted access is that critical, just create an extra Group specific to the need - beats the hell out of passwords.

linux / apache 2.2.22 / mysqli 5.6.34 / 7.1.22 / 10.0.48.9418+

Wow my english in this post is terrible. Time to actually read what I type! Thank you for making sense of my postings.

www.phearme.com

BSD/1.3.33/4.0.18/4.3.9

I would also be interested in this mod for my moderators forum.

I understand the groups argument, and I do of course use groups for the moderators, but plenty of them use shared PCs and sometimes forget to log themselves out.

What I would like is a secondary measure to make sure that the person using the PC is a moderator, rather than just relying on the identity of the browser through a cookie.

When I put the prospect of this additional level of protection to the vote among my mods, it was a 100% yes, worth the minor trouble of entering a password.

Apache's Mod_Auth seemed to be the ideal way of achieving this, but since a forum isn't a directory, and mod auth won't respond to URL parameters I can't get this to work. Also it would only work for a forum link, not for direct links to the posts themselves, although this would be much better than nothing.

I considered MOD rewrite and got bogged down in rewriting the request into an error page and a secret url in to a proper request. A fairly weak solution even if I could get it to work.

Finally I looked at Mod_security, but so far no joy. This is my best hope yet though!

Obviously the ideal solution would be a software rather than environment mod but this is beyond me. So I leave this as a suggestion and point out that I think there is scope for forum protection beyond groups.

Any help or other ideas greatfully received, whether Apache or software!

Olive Net
British Army
Royal Navy
Military Clothing and Equipment - This Tribe

Slackware 12 / CentOS, PHP 5.6, MySQL 5, Apache 2