Support ⇒ Gamers Modules & Blocks ⇒ mComp :: module for managing Online Gaming Competitions ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum Index Modules & Blocks Gamers Modules & Blocks

mComp :: module for managing Online Gaming Competitions Reply to topic

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4 Next

Hello All

I'd like to announce the version 1.0 release of my new module, mComp, recently ported to CPGNuke 9.0 (DragonFly PR1).

It's designed to manage multiple online gaming events, for multiple games if need be, and each can be defined as being of several different types (Ladder, League, Knockout etc.). Each event can have multiple stages (of different types) and multiple divisions within each.

For example, following a football World Cup format, you could setup a competition comprising several groups of teams that play each other once in a Group qualifying stage, followed by a straight knockout stage.

Or you could set up Leagues with Seasons and Divisions.

Or you could set up Ladders whereby teams challenge each other, schedule their own matches and enter their own results.

The package, complete with CPGNuke installer, is here:-

www.markroper.co.uk/do...gonfly.zip

The equivalent Puke version (without an installer but with a .sql file for the tables) is here:-

www.markroper.co.uk/do...g-nuke.zip

Documentation (albeit Puke specific and missing a few last minute tweaks) is included in the package, or can be viewed online at my own gaming site here:-

www.etnation.co.uk/mod...amp;cat=10

Note:-

This module may not comply fully with CPGNuke 9.0. I haven't used getlink(), for example, because a lot of the code is common between CPG and Puke versions. It does, however, test for which version it's running under and use a variable to store the name of the entry page (modules.php for Puke, $mainindex for CPG etc). It also works with register_globals OFF in either version.

Until such time as DragonFly takes over the World I will strive to make this module backwards compatible with Puke, even if it means doing things not entirely as intended by the CPGNuke developers.

Also, this is version 1.0, and as such is very much open to comments or suggestions for improvement. Although I am a programmer by trade (I write database applications in a 4GL called Progress), I'm not that hot on PHP, so if some of this looks rather amateurish, well, that's because it is. Razz

The module is currently being used on these sites:-

www.etnation.co.uk/ind...ompetition
www.etleague.com/ET/mo...ompetition
www.wolfenstein-extrem...ompetition
unter.markroper.co.uk/...ompetition

and on my test site:-

test.markroper.co.uk/i...ompetition

Thoughts, suggestions, opinions?

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):

Last edited by Kendle on Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:53 pm; edited 4 times in total

Shocked The Competiton module is incredible! Shocked

The code is very well written. The competition setup is very scalable and simple. Both for the administrators and the people who will be using it.

Amateurish or not, you just got yourself a fan here, Kendle Very Happy

Linux/1.3.27/4.0.22/4.3.1/8.2b-CVS

Module upgraded to version 1.1
  • Added a configuration table and an update function to the Admin Panel section, so no more hand editing a config.php text file to configure the module (should've done it from the outset really but heh!).
  • Several minor tweaks and a few bug fixes.
Packages updated:-

DragonFly -> www.markroper.co.uk/do...gonfly.zip

Puke and CPG 8.2 -> www.markroper.co.uk/do...g-nuke.zip

If upgrading from version 1.0 you'll need to apply a SQL file to add the config table. It's called "upgrade1.0-1.1.sql" and is contained within the "/sql" folder in each package. Remember to change your database prefix from "nuke_" to whatever yours is before applying it.

Before using the module (either from a new installation, or an upgrade) go to your Admin Panel, select "Competiton" and then the "[ Module Configuration ]" link to set it all up.

Documentation (contained in the package) is still a bit behind, I'll get round to updating it soon, honest Embarassed

Last edited by Kendle on Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

If I am not completely mistaken alot of the modules in Dragonfly has a little "upgrade" link where one can upgrade to the latest version. Is there something like that in mComp? Wouldn't it be kinda nice to include it for future releases?

Andreas Rönnqvist
www.omegaproject.se
[OmegaProject] Founder

Linux/Apache 2.0.52(Unix)/4.0.23/4.3.10-2/Dragonfly 9.0.6.1

Could you consider the following stats for mComp?
I'm going to try adding

Overal statistics:
- SQL table for Statistics
- table showing the lifetime performance for every team and player
- Statistics link for every team and player next to Demos

Team specific statistics
- create a table inside the team details with the life time performance of the team and its players.
- Statistics link for the team and according players next to Fixtures

Game specific statistics
- create a table in the fixture's details, showing the performance about each player in a particular game, with "Player Game Rating", "Player Overal Rating", "Player Ratio" and "Custom Attribute" named in the competition setup.
- Statistics link for the according game in the fixture's details

Division
- add "Game Rating", "Overal Rating" and "Ratio" to the division table

Blocks
- standings block for the top 10 players
- standings block for the top 10 teams
- custumised block through the mComp administration panel

Let me know of what you think.

Linux/1.3.27/4.0.22/4.3.1/8.2b-CVS

Kendle wrote
Hello All

I'd like to announce the version 1.0 release of my new module, mComp, recently ported to CPGNuke 9.0 (DragonFly PR1).

It's designed to manage multiple online gaming events, for multiple games if need be, and each can be defined as being of several different types (Ladder, League, Knockout etc.). Each event can have multiple stages (of different types) and multiple divisions within each.

For example, following a football World Cup format, you could setup a competition comprising several groups of teams that play each other once in a Group qualifying stage, followed by a straight knockout stage.

Or you could set up Leagues with Seasons and Divisions.

Or you could set up Ladders whereby teams challenge each other, schedule their own matches and enter their own results.

The package, complete with CPGNuke installer, is here:-

www.markroper.co.uk/fi...-cpg90.zip

The equivalent Puke version (without an installer but with a .sql file for the tables) is here:-

www.markroper.co.uk/fi...n-nuke.zip

Documentation (albeit Puke specific and missing a few last minute tweaks) is included in the package, or can be viewed online at my own gaming site here:-

www.etnation.co.uk/mod...amp;cid=10

Note:-

This module may not comply fully with CPGNuke 9.0. I haven't used getlink(), for example, because a lot of the code is common between CPG and Puke versions. It does, however, test for which version it's running under and use a variable to store the name of the entry page (modules.php for Puke, $mainindex for CPG etc). It also works with register_globals OFF in either version.

Until such time as DragonFly takes over the World I will strive to make this module backwards compatible with Puke, even if it means doing things not entirely as intended by the CPGNuke developers.

Also, this is version 1.0, and as such is very much open to comments or suggestions for improvement. Although I am a programmer by trade (I write database applications in a 4GL called Progress), I'm not that hot on PHP, so if some of this looks rather amateurish, well, that's because it is. Razz

The module is currently being used on these sites:-

www.etnation.co.uk/ind...ompetition
www.etleague.com/ET/mo...ompetition
www.wolfenstein-extrem...ompetition

Thoughts, suggestions, opinions?

I'm having some problems with it under the current 8.2c release, once I log in as admin then I only get the header and main menu block on the home page, the main menu block is now centered B.T.W. and the header only on admin.php, any ideals as to why?

I guess I should mention that all of this was working fine previously and all permissions appear to be correct.

Fedora Core 2 Kernel 2.6.9 SMP/Apache 2.0.51-2.9/MySQL Server 4.1.7-4/PHP 5.0.2-8/CGPNuke 8.2c

Andreas wrote
If I am not completely mistaken alot of the modules in Dragonfly has a little "upgrade" link where one can upgrade to the latest version. Is there something like that in mComp? Wouldn't it be kinda nice to include it for future releases?

Heh, I've only just figured out how to use cpg_inst.php (absolutely brilliant feature btw) Smile Plus, all the sites that I know of that currently use mComp I have FTP and phpMyAdmin access to anyway, so making an upgrade program hasn't been a priority, but you're right, it should have one to be considered a "proper" module and I'll definately look at writing upgrade routines for future releases.

fcxbytes wrote
Could you consider the following stats for mComp?

I guess all of that depends on how you rate players and teams.

Bear in mind I only play FPS team games (RTCW/ET/CS:S mainly) and individual player stats are not really applicable (and of course, having no experience of other games to fall back on I can only do what makes sense to me).

Team stats I can understand (and the Team Profile page does contain a Competitions link which shows all the competitions the Team takes part in, including games won / drawn / lost, their current position and winning / losing streak).

Player stats I would suggest would only be relevant to certain games. Certainly the games I play take no account of, or provide any means for measuring, individual player performance.

Any further ideas you have on this would be greatly appreciated, and in the meantime I'll look at what I can do as regards team stats.

callihn wrote
I'm having some problems with it under the current 8.2c release, once I log in as admin then I only get the header and main menu block on the home page, the main menu block is now centered B.T.W. and the header only on admin.php, any ideals as to why?

Er, not really! What's different between 8.2b and 8.2c? The sites I have it running on use Puke 7.x, CPG-Nuke 8.2b and DragonFly. Note: for CPG-Nuke 8.2x you should be using the Puke package:-

The other package linked previously is ONLY for DragonFly.

Last edited by Kendle on Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

Awesome Kendle! I have installed your packade in the hopes of making it work for a non-FPS tournament (card games and the likes) and I'll see what I make of it!

In the case it seems to work out fine, you can add that to your list of features, otherwise I'll give you a few lines about what could be added to make it even more comprehensive, if it is in your interest! Thanks for a well-written and dedicated MODULE! Smile

Andreas Rönnqvist
www.omegaproject.se
[OmegaProject] Founder

Andreas wrote
I have installed your packade in the hopes of making it work for a non-FPS tournament (card games and the likes) and I'll see what I make of it!

Excellent, hope it works out for you. Any and all feedback is more than welcome.

I've been thinking about how I can make the module feel like a better "fit" for various different types of competition. For instance, the basic structure consists of 4 levels of detail:-

game -> competition -> stage -> division

This works well for my original purposes, but the terminology might not be right for all circumstances.

For example, in a League scenario Stage might be better called "Season" and in a Ladder scenario "Division" might be better called, well, "Ladder", etc. I think it would be useful if webmasters could set up their own terminology, and in the case of Stage / Division possibly on a Competition by Competition basis.

Also, I guess for a competition where you only have "players" and not "teams", the Team -> Roster structure isn't appropriate. I could possibly work it so that webmasters can decide whether to use this structure or just the "team" element, but renamed "player" instead. i.e. "Team Listing" becomes "Player Listing", you add Players to competitions not Teams, and the Roster component of the Team Profile and Team Management pages could be disabled completely.

A couple of bugs have been found by one of my users, re-download the package if you got it prior to the date/time of this post. Latest version should be Version: 1.1 Build: 4.

Having the fields be decided by the Admin is an EXCELLENT idea Kendle! That way it can be used for every tournament and competition out there! Also, making teams <-> player interchangable also gives alot of new possibilities to this excellent module!

Nice ET-sites as well, you guys got a dedicated gaming server somewhere?

Andreas Rönnqvist
www.omegaproject.se
[OmegaProject] Founder

Andreas wrote
Nice ET-sites as well, you guys got a dedicated gaming server somewhere?

www.etnation.co.uk <-- that's the UK ET community site I run. Pop over and say hello.

I've moved the download location of this module, and edited previous posts where necessary to reflect this.

Also, another bug has been identified and fixed, I'm on Version 1.1 : Build 5 now.

Kendle wrote

Note: for CPG-Nuke 8.2x you should be using the Puke package:-

The other package linked previously is ONLY for DragonFly.

O.I.C., well that would be the problem then, does that one have the installer in it for CPG?

Fedora Core 2 Kernel 2.6.9 SMP/Apache 2.0.51-2.9/MySQL Server 4.1.7-4/PHP 5.0.2-8/CGPNuke 8.2c

callihn wrote
O.I.C., well that would be the problem then, does that one have the installer in it for CPG?

Er, it didn't, but it does now Embarassed

As you can probably tell, I'm a bit new to this, I've only ever written stuff for my own use before. I included the cpg_inst.php installer in the DagonFly package but not the other one. As of just now they both include it.