Miscellaneous ⇒ User & Newbie Resources :: Archives ⇒ Do I need a CMS? :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexUser & Newbie Resources

Archived ⇒ Do I need a CMS?

Before I go down this road I need to know; Do I really need a CMS? This is what I intend to do....

A community site for english-speaking residents of a french town. Primarily I want chat forums, a database of reviews of things to do, restaurants, books etc., an events guide, for sale section, news and rumours etc and maybe pages for the Guides, scouts etc.

Should I just be looking to do this with say FP with a chat forum installed (like snitz or phpBB) or would I be better off starting with cpg-nuke? Can I have normal pages without all the links and contributions buttons ie that are pre-written? Any links to CPG-Nuke sites?

Ta

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):

You'd be better off using CPG than plain phpBB or anything else for that matter if only for the security of CPG. The speed and range of Admin options puts it streets ahead as well, and you can turn off anything you don't want to the point where your site only contains exactly what you want and nothing more.

My test site has absolutely everything disabled apart from my 2 modules and a couple of blocks that go with them. If I were to spend 2 minutes editing the template I could get rid of the links to the Forums and My Account at the top as well (not that they do anything cos I've disabled them as well).

Thanks for the swift response!

Is it simple to mix static pages with pages generated from a CMS? Does every contribution by someone else have a 'stamp' or can that be turned off?

The 'Content' module handles static pages very well, or there are other ways of doing it, but yes you can add static pages easily

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

I was thinking of just going ahead and getting some space with site5 and ploughing in - but am a little worried about starting work and realising a week down the long that I have taken the wrong path!

So with this CMS (for example) I don't need any other package like FP to get my site up, everything can be done through the CMS? Static pages, all the text and picture entry etc...?

Sorry for being such a noob but this is all pretty overwhelming to start off with!

either solution, you will need hosting, and site 5 is reccomended highly.. i personally feel CPG would be perfect for your site, and we are always here to help!

FP?

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

FP = FrontPage (Microsoft web editing/design program)

XP / 2.0 / 5.1 / 5.2 / none

Just wondering if cpg-nuke is all I will need from now on! I could be starting a long journey!

I also don;t see cpg-nuke as one of the pre-installed CMSs on site5's site - anyone know if it is pre-installed?

its not preinstalled anywhere. but fswebhost.com could do it for u if u dont like site 5.

.::..::.

Linux/2.2.6/5.0.86/5.2.8/9.3.2