Miscellaneous ⇒ User & Newbie Resources :: Archives ⇒ ConTEXT Programmer's Editor :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexUser & Newbie Resources

Archived ⇒ ConTEXT Programmer's Editor

I was wondering who all uses ConTEXT Programmer's Editor. Current version is 0.97.6 as of this posting.

ConTEXT is a small, fast and powerful text editor, developed mainly to serve as secondary tool for software developers.

Features:
  • unlimited open files
  • unlimited editing file size, 4kB line length
      Powerful syntax highlighting for:
    • C/C++
    • Delphi/Pascal
    • Java
    • Java Script
    • Visual Basic
    • Perl/CGI
    • HTML
    • SQL
    • FoxPro
    • 80x86 assembler
    • Python
    • PHP
    • Tcl/Tk
    • powerful custom defined syntax highlighter
  • multilanguage support (supported languages: English, German, French, Croatian, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Esperanto, Spanish, Galego, Italian, Hungarian, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Slovakian, Polish, Lithuanian, Latvian, Slovenian, Turkish)
  • project workspaces support
  • unicode UTF8 support
  • code templates
  • customizable help files for each file type
  • file explorer with favorites list
  • file compare
  • export to HTML/RTF
  • conversion DOS->UNIX->Macintosh file formats
  • editing position remembering across files
  • macro recorder
  • commenting/uncommenting code
  • text sort
  • normal and columnar text selection
  • bookmarks
  • search and replace with regular expressions
  • search and replace text in all open files
  • C/Java-style block auto indent/outdent
  • customizable color printing with print preview
  • exporting configuration stored in registry
  • customizable syntax highlighting colors, cursor shapes, right margin, gutter, line spacing...
  • user definable execution keys, depending on file type
  • capturing console applications standard output
  • compiler output parser for positioning on error line
  • powerful command line handler
  • install and uninstall
  • minimize to system tray
  • it's FREE!

Screenshots: ConTEXT Screenshots
Download: ConTEXT 0.97.6
Homepage: ConTEXT

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Tarun's server specs (Linux / Apache 1.3.33(UNIX) / MySQL 4.1.11-standard / PHP 4.3.11 / CPGNuke 9.0.5.0 CVS)

I used to make a habit of collecting and trying editors... I'm reformed now though.

I have Context and have used it a fair bit, but I prefer HAPEdit (http://hapedit.free.fr/) for PHP and use that most of the time - I like particularly the PHP code completion, which cuts down on typos.

I also like Kommodo from Active State but it's big and heavy and, since it's not free, I have not updated it. The main thing I like is that it's the only integrated debugger that has ever worked for me. Then the debugger quit working and I quit using Kommodo after that - that was a couple of years ago already.

Many people swear by EditPad, TextPad, UltraEdit... I think I'm missing one with a similar name.

People also swear by PHPEditor, which I just always found buggy and unstable and have usually uninstalled it within a couple of days of installing it and, after enough negative experiences, just quit trying the new releases.

Then of course there's the crowd who want use anything but emacs or vim, but that's another user base altogether.

FreeBSD with Win2K for dev/1.3.23/4.0.22/4.3.10/9.0.1

rick_deckard wrote
I used to make a habit of collecting and trying editors... I'm reformed now though.

I have Context and have used it a fair bit, but I prefer HAPEdit (http://hapedit.free.fr/) for PHP and use that most of the time - I like particularly the PHP code completion, which cuts down on typos.

I also like Kommodo from Active State but it's big and heavy and, since it's not free, I have not updated it. The main thing I like is that it's the only integrated debugger that has ever worked for me. Then the debugger quit working and I quit using Kommodo after that - that was a couple of years ago already.

Many people swear by EditPad, TextPad, UltraEdit... I think I'm missing one with a similar name.

People also swear by PHPEditor, which I just always found buggy and unstable and have usually uninstalled it within a couple of days of installing it and, after enough negative experiences, just quit trying the new releases.

Then of course there's the crowd who want use anything but emacs or vim, but that's another user base altogether.

I primarily used it for cleaning Hijack This logs of all things. I'd tweak the other items I would use to make the highlighters work better. Since though, I'm writing an application to post a Hijack This log and let it clean it up and make it BBCode ready for me. I'm so lazy! Very Happy

Tarun's server specs (Linux / Apache 1.3.33(UNIX) / MySQL 4.1.11-standard / PHP 4.3.11 / CPGNuke 9.0.5.0 CVS)

Oh yeah, xored is another free one

And then Zend Studio, Maguma, Nusphere etc - haven't used any of them because I'm too cheap

I use NotePad2 and UltraEdit

These two apps are the only 2 i ever found that work properly with UTF-8 files.

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

I use Crimson Editor which works great with UTF-8, what I'd like to know is a merge tool that supports UTF-8.

Anyone?

Winmerge sucks Wink

J.
j e r u v y a t y a h o o d o t c o m

Need help? Look here: www.dragonflycms.org/W...d=112.html
Need to chat? Look for me on irc.freenode.net

Ubuntu7.10/Debian3.1 - 2.2.3/1.3.37 - 5.0.38/4.0.27 - 5.2.1/4.4.7 - CVS/9.1.2}

Jeruvy the latest winmerge package has 2 exe's
1 ANSI & 1 Unicode (WinMergeU.exe)

I just renamed WinMergeU.exe to WinMerge.exe Smile

On topic - I should mention that several if not most of the editors I mentioned in the previous post do not have good Unicode support.

Winmerge sucks

Somewhat OT, but isn't winmerge FREE?

Anyway, I bucked up and paid for Beyond Compare (http://www.scootersoftware.com). According to their change log

--------------------------------
26-August-2004 Build 226 release
--------------------------------

- This release is named 2.2.6

- Added automatic detection of UTF-8 and Unicode (UTF-16) files based on the content of the file.

... I don't want to get into a long plug for a commercial app, but at $30, it's some of the better money I've spent. It's replaced a half-dozen other tools for me and works great as a file/directory comparison and merge tool. Between Beyond Compare and Subversion/Tortoise (equally amazing and FREE!) managing projects is a whole lot simpler.

Please note, I have not tried WinMerge and UltraCompare, so this is not meant as a comparison or criticism of those, just a statement that I *do* like BC. Perhaps if you think WinMerge sucks you would feel the same way about Beyond Compare. I have no idea.

PS - Beyond Compare currently supports Unicode *text* but still does not support Unicode filenames.

PPS DJMaze,

Do either of the editors you mention provide code hints/auto complete for variable names, function names and built-in functions?

In other words, if I have
$my_stupidly_long_variable_name_number_one
$my_stupidly_long_variable_name_number_two

will they start guessing and provide a drop down list of choices as I type so that I can select without typing the whole thing?

Being prone to making typos, I like this feature a lot in an editor, but unicode support is important too. Hmm...

By the way - bravo on committing to Unicode for Dragonfly. This is completely the right decision.

I use non-fancy editors.
This means syntax highlighting only and NO:
- code completion
- debugger
- load libraries
- integrated help systems (like the php .chm)
- integrated browser

If i open the file it must be in my face within 3 seconds or the app is not for me.
Most functions are inside my mind and if i forget something i go to php.net/[functionname] or open the dragonfly file which contains the function.

This way i use not much memory which is a good thing in Windows OS for several reasons.
The biggest issue is crashing, and you don't want to crash when you're working on a file.
For now my system only crashed twice due to my own mistakes which i made in a C++ app (buffer overflow + never ending mem-create loops)

DJMaze wrote
Jeruvy the latest winmerge package has 2 exe's
1 ANSI & 1 Unicode (WinMergeU.exe)

I just renamed WinMergeU.exe to WinMerge.exe Smile

Embarassed

I'll have to peek Smile Thanks!

J.

rick_deckard wrote
On topic - I should mention that several if not most of the editors I mentioned in the previous post do not have good Unicode support.

Winmerge sucks

Somewhat OT, but isn't winmerge FREE?

Hmm I hate when I'm misquoted, you removed the winky at the end...you work for the media?

Anyway, I bucked up and paid for Beyond Compare (http://www.scootersoftware.com). According to their change log

Please note, I have not tried WinMerge and UltraCompare, so this is not meant as a comparison or criticism of those, just a statement that I *do* like BC. Perhaps if you think WinMerge sucks you would feel the same way about Beyond Compare. I have no idea.

My suck-meter is really like a toggle. IF it does things without causing issues or bugs then I like it, if it doesn't then it sucks.

I personally don't have anything against any tools whether I think they suck or not, that is simply my opinion and it's worth whatever value YOU associate with it. I know what my opinion is worth to me Wink

So, OT or not you were discussing editors and UTF-8 compliance, and since we've had these discussions numerously in the past, I figured I'd expand on it (which you deemed OT...ok fair enough, I would not) by looking at other editor-like tools that play as important a role in maintaining files such as a merge tool.

Perhaps I should have just moved on when I saw the subject, but then I'd never have known that WinMerge has a second exe I never saw Smile

As for buying an editor, there are just too many good free alternatives for me to waste money on commercial software. I bought 'editeur' years ago because it said it could handle MB sized files. BS, it crashed like most sucky software I've tried. So I said no more wasted money on software that is better free. At least then if I don't like it, my wallet doesn't feel any pain tossing it in the recycle bin.

Now back to your regularily scheduled editor discussion Smile

J.

I have to say I don't key in on winkies - mostly I key them out. It wasn't my intention to misquote you.

As for free/paid, it depends. If I can get as much work done with a free app, why pay? On the other hand, if a paid app offers a significant productivity boost for a task I do often, it's probably worth it (especially if I can convince someone else to buy it for me to profit from said productivity boost).

For editors, I have to agree. I wouldn't pay for one at this point, but I might someday if something really wowed me.

UltraEdit has wowed me and if i had to pay for it i will.

The (recursive) directory search/replace in files rocks.
Also it's the only app that can convert any language charset into another without crashing the coding (aka code pages)