Dragonfly CMS v9 ⇒ Switch from X to Dragonfly v9 :: Archives ⇒ SMF, IPB or any other forums instead of phpBB? :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexSwitch from X to Dragonfly v9

Archived ⇒ SMF, IPB or any other forums instead of phpBB?

Id disagree.

Security is the number one concern in my mind.

Features and functionality is just eye candy. Nice to have and all that but not neccessary. The *point* of a forums is to discuss and share, and last I checked frills aren't needed to achieve that.

However security IS needed for that. One, this is not a phpbb forums anymore. The coders have recoded it from the bottom up starting with the most stable version I wager ... and it is no longer a phpbb - it merely LOOKS like phpbb. (correct me if I'm wrong guys!)

Comparing Dragonfly features to a nuke fork isn't going to wash - it's now to the point of being apples and oranges. And the entire reason many of us are here is precisely BECAUSE we were looking for security being the number one focus in designing and building and coding the CMS.

Two, to say that folks are more worried about frills than security is speaking as one that hasn't seen or had to deal with a security breech in which your site is taken over and data lost. Sounds like you haven;t had many dealings with sql injections to say secirty isn't what folks are looking for.

And in my head people respond to content and purpose. Not the decorations. If your site sucks or lacks something to draw folks to it and want to use it, no amount of frills or features is going to convince them to stay.

Just my 2 cents, for what they are worth.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
[ Linux / Apache 2.2.8 / MySQL 5.0.45 / PHP 5.2.6 / CPG 8.2b - 9.3.4.1]

I wouldn't say that it isn't a phpBB yet -- yes, it is no longer compatible, but it isn't a complete rewrite either though. It is definitely headed that way though.

As it currently sits, phpBB mods don't work right out of the box, but with minimal porting, they'll still work. Hence my statement in the first paragraph.

Debian Sarge 2.6.8/2.0.54/Postgres 7.4.7/4.3.10/9.0.5.0+

Instead of wanting a complete new BB system, why not just bring up the features you like about the other BB and if they are truly DF worthy they may be added by the dev team.

- |\\/|ystic

Ubuntu 14.04.1/Apache 2/5.5.38/5.5.9/9.4.0.0

well i think its harder to reinvent the wheel. I guess it would have just been a better idea to have added more of the hacks and addons to it first, before converting it into cpgbb. And I know, there are many different hacks out there, by different people, that may or may not have proper skills so it can be hard to work with, but worth it. perhaps taking a fully modded version from support.phpbbfm.net/index_fm.php is the best step. Giving you the freedom to modify without license worries, incorporating your security, and giving users the thrills of a high featured bb system.

This all came about because I couldn't figure a way to have the bb automatically email me whenever there was a new post to a particular forum like IPB and vB has. Maybe I just can't find this feature, does it exist?

DragonCMS 9.0.6.1

Nope. It doesn't exist yet. There has been a request for it already (in the CPG-BB forum, I think).

I was actually planning on taking a look at it in the future, but that is probably about 2 months away.

Debian Sarge 2.6.8/2.0.54/Postgres 7.4.7/4.3.10/9.0.5.0+

DssTrainer wrote
Thefix wrote
I think the direction that the CPG-NUKE Dragonfly team takes with the use of CPG-BB is one that takes security as the most important concern in a BB. Check out the other CMS systems out there, its hard to compare with Dragonfly.

yes but people are more worried about features than security. This isn't about CMS its about the forum. PhpBB Security has been patched over and over, but people like functionality, and cpgbb is just as Un-functional as phpbb, secure or not. I agree security is important, but that has nothing to do with spending too much time on a bb that was already unsecure to begin with, hence the patches from phpbb 2.0.4 - 2.0.15. There was a high patching era where every month a new patch came out. A program as feature rich and nuke and cpg/dragonfly deserves the best of the best of the free stuff. smf is the best feature rich free one that I know, regardless of the licensing hoops, they could use the publicity that dragonfly could bring, as they are nowhere near as popular as ipb, vb, or phpbb.

I am with you on dragonfly deserving the best of the best, and yes I do remember doing a bunch of patches on my phpbb.

P.S. Cool website

Red Hat Linux 7.3/Apache 1.3.33 /MySQL4.0.22-standard/PHP4.3.11/CPGNuke 9.0.6.1

I thought they used a version phpbb before 2.0.4.

I was under the impression that they went back to the version of phpbb that was the most secure and rewrote from that stage, not that they wrote from the most recent versions of phpbb.

I've been using phpnuke for the last 3 years or so, and a phpbb board like a year or more before I discovered nuke sites,,, so I'm familiar with the patches, but I think I came in before version 2.0. Or I just first started with an older version of phpbb than what everyone else was using.

[ Linux / Apache 2.2.8 / MySQL 5.0.45 / PHP 5.2.6 / CPG 8.2b - 9.3.4.1]

Hello guys,

I have just installed Dragonfly CMS on my localhost. And I want to use SMF (Forum) instead of using phpBB2. Do u have any suggestion about this. I am new on Dragonfly so plz help me.

Thx

xp/1.3.33/4.024/4.x/9.0.6

You might want to read this thread.
www.dragonflycms.org/F...t=SMF.html

And also, as mentioned before in the forum. Search is your friend. Wink

Lead Theme Designer - WebSiteGuru Designs

Linux 2.6.9 / Apache 2.2.6 / MySQL 5.0.27 / PHP 5 / DF Version 9.2.1

WOW topic doesent exist...figures, some smart *ss on the forums yelled go search at another members who asked this question elsewhere, you search and alas find nothing useful Sad

Linux/apache/4.1.21/4.4.2/9.1.2.1

oops foprgot to ask if anyone has experience in providing a solution to the problem this guy just asked because I wanna do the same.

So reading all this I get the feeling that those of us who want to use SMF are (1) most likely not gonna find help on this site
(2) stuck with using an outdated phpbb right?

geeez im hitting like 1 brick wall right after another.
If I knew how iid just port the friggin thing and be done with it..grrrr....anyone got plans on doing anything with SMF for DFly ????

Wizzard308 wrote
If I knew how iid just port the friggin thing and be done with it..

"Just port the friggin thing?!?!" That's funny!
The reason there's no solutions is that it takes ALOT of work to do something like this! Even just to make a bridge would take a knowledgeable programmer (of DragonFly AND SMF) several months of coding, testing, debugging and a lifetime's worth of supporting it after the fact!

Admin - Great Lakes Web Designs
Theme Designer - WebSite Guru Designs
Site Admin - Families with Food Allergies

Linux 2.6.27-grsec/Apache 2.2.11/MySQL 5.0.67-community-log/PHP 5.2.8/DF 9.2.1

LOL! Well said. Very Happy

Lead Theme Designer - WebSiteGuru Designs

Linux 2.6.9 / Apache 2.2.6 / MySQL 5.0.27 / PHP 5 / DF Version 9.2.1

iframe it, subdomain it but your users need to register twice

"outdated phpbb" .... he does have everything a forums needs and its even very stable, sure its not a new version but what is that makes it "outdated"?

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.6 / PHP 5.6 / DCVS