The major enhancement is Archiving of older posts
- in effect, you get the benefits of "pruning" without losing your topics/posts and without loss of linking from the search engine indexes.
- archives operate at sub-forums.
- archives can be setup in admin, much the same as pruning.
- auto-archiving uses a new bbforum_archive table.
- an archived topic has its posts copied to new bbposts_archive and bbposts_text_archive tables and an archive flag added to the bbtopics table.
- once archived, the original posts are deleted from the bbposts tables and the words table is updated.
- announcement and poll topics are not archived in admin archiving.
- moderator panel now provides for batch archiving of topics within each forum and this area will archive announcements and polls.
- polls and attachments are preserved in archived posts.
- viewtopic checks if topic is archived or not and displays the relevant tables, with an "Archived Topic" note at the top - active topics have an archive icon so that individual topics can be archived by moderators.
- archived topics/posts cannot be individually moderated.
- archived topics can be "Revived" on a one-off basis - a link allows auto-generation of a new topic in the active system, referencing the archived topic and denoted by [revived] in the subject line.
- once revived, the revival link reverts to a reference link to the new active topic.
- topic revival adds the new topic id to a field in the old topic's table for tracking purposes.
- if archives exist, Forum Index provides a link to archives and number of topics/posts in brackets.
- link provided to an Archives index of forums containing archives.
- forums with archives, and archived topics, are clearly labeled, including pagetitles and cross-linking where appropriate.
- Bulk archiving is heavy on query load - test what your server can handle with small bites.
- Archived topics will not appear in normal forum search - until an alternative is assessed, I suggest you provide a Google site search link.
Created: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 (23:26:06) by Phoenix
Updated: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 (23:34:32) by Phoenix